I'm a vet – here's the room in the house your pet should NEVER go in

I’m a vet and there’s a potentially lethal room in the house you should never let your pet go into

  • Vet Rachel Barrack said dogs were put at risk when they went into the room 
  • Must read:  Femail reveals wildest scandals to rock the Westminster Dog show

A vet has warned dog owners never to allow their pets to enter one key room in the house. 

Rachel Barrack, of New York, told Insider that dogs should never be allowed in the bathroom or anywhere near the toilet.

The veterinarian explained that all dogs, in particular larger breeds, should be kept away no matter how curious they are. 

She said: ‘Toilet bowls do not contain clean water that is appropriate for your dog or cat to consume.

‘Keep the lid down so your large-breed dog cannot access the bowl.’

A New York vet has warned pet owners never to let their dogs into a bathroom as it contains deadly chemicals (stock image)

The vet warned that as well as the issue of contaminated water, many bathrooms were cleaned with toxic chemicals that could prove deadly to pets. 

She added that everyday items could be harmful, and she urged people to store toiletries and cleaning products far out of reach from your pets.

She also advised people to clean their bathrooms with non-toxic and pet-friendly products.

Her comments were backed up by Ivan Ivanov from End of Tenancy Cleaning in London. 

He said that popular cleaning products potentially put pets at risk of serious health problems. 

According to data gathered by End of Tenancy Cleaning, many household products could be a danger.

These included dishwasher tablets, oven cleaners, bleach, and even laundry products.

Floor cleaners are known to pose a risk to pets, especially if they lick the surface.

This is a particularly problem in ammonium-based cleaners, which may cause irritation and chemical burns to noses and paws.

Highly-concentrated laundry products can also linger on fibres and cause irritation to pets.

He urged people to use products that are fragrance free, as these would be kinder to pets.

The warnings come after an expert also advised pet owners to limit the amount of ‘harmful’ tap water drunk by cats and dogs. 

Gene Fitzgerald, who works for Best Osmosis Systems, revealed that the water in our homes could be ‘slowly poisoning’ our pets.

The water treatment expert claimed it might be dangerous for animals because of the elements dissolved in it.

Gene, told The Mirror: ‘Hard water contains high levels of calcium and/or magnesium. For pets, this can be harmful.

‘If a dog drinks too much hard water for too long a period, for example, they can develop conditions such as urinary tract and/or bladder infections, cystitis, urinary obstruction, crystalluria and stone formation.

He added that hard water can also cause health issues in animals such as skin problems, as well as digestive and dental issues.

Although the expert did admit that the UK is known for having some of the best tap water in the world there are some ‘hard water areas’.

Therefore it all depends on the tap water where you live, because some types are absolutely fine for pets to drink.

Offering a solution Gene said removing the harmful substances from hard water can help to keep your pet healthy.

She suggested that reverse osmosis and distillation softeners are great solutions, but to bear in mind that softeners ‘contain sodium’, which can be ‘equally harmful’ to pets.

Smaller pet with pre-existing health conditions are more susceptible to health issues due to hard water.

There are various online tools for checking the level of water hardness in your area.

But the expert suggested that the best thing to do is to provide these types of pets with filtered tap water.

As water quality varies throughout the UK, it’s hard to tell what is the best thing to do.

If you’re worried, you can contact your water company to receive an assessment of your water quality, or speak to a vet.

Source: Read Full Article