Jarrell Miller's promoters say shamed heavyweight has 'unfinished business' with Anthony Joshua after losing $10m purse
JARRELL MILLER still has "'unfinished business" with Anthony Joshua after missing out on a $10million payday.
The controversial heavyweight in 2019 was set to fight AJ in his home of New York and welcome the British superstar Stateside.
His purse was believed to have been $4.8m (£3.6m) with the chance to earn even more if he won and secured an immediate rematch.
But Miller infamously failed three Voluntary Anti-Doping Association pre-fight drug tests – blowing the mega-money bout.
Another separate drug bust a year later has kept the American sidelined and serving a backdated two-year suspension.
But the Nevada State Athletic Commission has voted to re-licence Miller as of June 17, so long as he continues to return clean tests.
READ MORE BOXING
Fury welcomes drugs cheat Miller with ‘open arms’ into training camp for Whyte
Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte: Date, venue and TV info as fight confirmed
His promoter Greg Cohen told SunSport: “He abided by the suspension, nobody here is saying that everybody should welcome him back with open arms.
“He needs to prove to the world what his inner circle already knows. But the fact is, the man has lost everything.
“And this is self-inflicted, I’m not trying to make him a victim, but the man was on top of the world, fighting Anthony Joshua in his hometown, in New York, a $10million package.
“You’re talking about life-changing stuff and unfortunately what happened, happened. He’s paid a tremendous price.
Most read in Boxing
'It's not the Tyson Fury show!'
Whyte finally breaks silence as he plots Tyson Fury upset
'It's not the Tyson Fury show!'
WBC shows off the new ‘Union Belt’ set to be awarded to winner of Fury vs Whyte
'I love her to death' – Jake Paul breaks silence on relationship status
John Fury laughs off son Tyson's threat to quit boxing after Whyte fight
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
“It will be over three-and-a-half years since he’s fought by the time he’s back in the ring.
“He didn’t kill anybody, he got a suspension before his fight, it wasn’t like he tested positive post-fight – I’m not making light of it.
“You’re responsible for whatever’s in your system and you have to be accountable – the man’s been accountable.”
Miller, 33, blamed his failed test before fighting Joshua, 32, on a tainted supplement and stem cell shots in his elbow.
The heavyweight would in 2020 then get a contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank stable but again tested positive for a banned substance.
This time the ex-kickboxer put it down to a SEX PILL and is still serving a ban.
Cohen said Miller enrolled in VADA testing in December 2020, with clean results so far, and should be given a shot to prove himself.
He said: “The guy has taken accountability for his actions and deserves a second chance.”
Miller, who was also banned for a failed test while competing in kickboxing, is among the most vilified fighters in the world.
But as Cohen knows, that can be an often lucrative position for prizefighters.
He said:“I think Jarrell, quite frankly is going to be the villain.
“You have good guys and bad guys, look at the WWE, there’s plenty of bad guys, who do very well.
“Look at Floyd Mayweather, when he was “Pretty Boy Floyd” fighting on HBO, he was a great fighter but he didn’t captivate the public.
“When he became “Money” Mayweather and had that whole persona shift and moved over to Showtime, he was the bad boy and made more money than anyone in boxing.
“For Jarrell, if you happen to know him he’s one of the sweetest, nicest guys. People in his inner circle know he’s a great guy.
“We don’t expect people to know him and embrace him like we do and he’s prepared to wear the black hat, to be the bad guy.”
The guy has taken accountability for his actions and deserves a second chance.
Miller was set to star on Sky Sports PPV and DAZN before cheating himself out of a title fight with Joshua and the millions that came with it.
ESPN and Arum were willing to give him a shot at redemption until yet another drug scandal.
But if Cohen and Miller expect a hard time convincing fans to get back on the retribution train, TV networks may not be so difficult.
Cohen revealed: “We have already been in discussions with half a dozen of the largest networks and platforms in the industry.
“The response and reception that we are getting from them is, if Nevada are licensing him, then we’re happy to put him on.”
Miller has not fought since November 2018, beating Bogdan Dinu, 35, in round four.
In the time since, he has remained training, even joining Dinu's camp as well as Mariusz Wach's, while training in New York and Florida.
More recently, Miller hit the headlines after being recruited for sparring by Tyson Fury, 33, who fights Dillian Whyte, 34, next Saturday.
Read More on The Sun
Downcast Gogglebox star Ellie seen for first time since boyfriend’s car crash
Burnley SACK Dyche in huge shock as they bid to avoid the drop with 8 games left
Cohen said: “He’s pleased with how he’s doing in camp and that it’s been really good.
"Him and Tyson have sparred before and know each other. They certainly have a nice and professional relationship.”
Source: Read Full Article