Man dies outside Tesco store as staff accused of 'stopping people using defibrillator'
A MAN died outside a Tesco store after staff were accused of "stopping people using the defibrillator."
Security staff at the Tesco Extra in Gillingham, Kent allegedly said the life-saving piece of kit was "not for public use" after an elderly man collapsed.
As frantic members of the public battled to save the OAP, one of the staff members allegedly reported called Kent police to report the "attempted theft" of the equipment.
Samantha Badger, who was outside the store at the time of the incident said she called 999 and was instructed to get a defibrillator after the man had suffered a suspected heart attack.
As she desperately performed CPR on the man, who was also her neigbour, another Good Samaritan ran to grab the device but was stopped by staff.
But despite Samantha's efforts, her neighbour, who was in his 90s, was pronounced dead shortly after paramedics arrived at the scene.
Samantha has hit out at the store after she posted about the heartbreaking incident on Facebook.
She wrote: "I'm absolutely disgusted with Gillingham Tescos at Bowaters roundabout!
"When I woke up today, I didn't envisage having to perform CPR on my next door neighbour, but as instructed by the 999 emergency service requested.
This may have saved this gentleman's life, but instead the poor chap and myself fighting desperately to save his life, whilst being denied emergency equipment, meant he sadly didn't make it.
"I carried on 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 and so on whilst the SGN employee ran over to Tesco to grab the defib that the 999 emergency services stated was there for us to use."
She explained how she continued with the CPR as she waited for either the defibrilator or the ambulance.
As soon as medics arrived on scene, they took over the CPR.
Samantha continued: "Heartbreakingly, the patient had passed away and defib never did turn up because as the workman ran into Tesco and collected it as he was running out of the shop with it, the security guard stopped him and told him that it wasn't for public use!
"The distraught man was so upset and explained that the 999 emergency services said to come and get it whilst a lady (me) was performing CPR on a suspected heart attack patient, but they wouldn't let him leave the store with it.
"This may have saved this gentleman's life, but instead the poor chap and myself fighting desperately to save his life, whilst being denied emergency equipment, meant he sadly didn't make it!"
A Tesco spokesperson told The Sun: “We’re incredibly sorry to hear about this and are shocked to hear the reported circumstances.
"It wouldn’t be appropriate for us to comment further while we are investigating these reports.
"We have 2,600 defibrillators in stores across the country which are available for anyone to use and we are reminding colleagues of this.”
Source: Read Full Article